Fans Blade swap

technical info
Big Red
Site Admin

Fans Blade swap

Post by Big Red »

I noticed my fan blade was badly cracked so decided to replace the GU fan with a GQ diesel fan and hub to match as they are different to the GU hub.
Pulled the hubs apart for a look and lost a bit of the silicon fluid so scraped about a level teaspoon out of the GU hub [all i could get out of it] and added it to the GQ hub making it roughly the same as before or maybe a touch more.
didn't have to remove anything to swap the fan assemblies over.
Remains to be seen if it makes a difference to the running hot under load.

GQ fan sits further forward by about 3mm ... centre section of fan blade is about 6mm less diameter making the fan blades 3mm longer, there is 8 blades instead of 7 but overall blade area might be about the same, blade pitch looks the same, outer diameter of fan blades is the same, i'm thinking the GU blade will flatten out slightly at high revs as it is more flexible

Big Red
Site Admin

Re: Fans Blade swap

Post by Big Red »

Well, results are in... the Ute definately runs cooler now ...
Up cunninghams gap the gauge hit the very top past the hot mark less than half way up and taking it easy with the heater on ... now only hits hot mark at the top under full noise with no heater ... did not go over half way on a 2500 km trip where before it got hot on every long uphill .

well worth it !

Big Red
Site Admin

Re: Fans Blade swap

Post by Big Red »

Towed a large twin axle coolroom trailer to Mackay from Brisbane then another similar trailer back to Brisbane ... temp rose a couple of times but never over 3/4 even on long uphill runs of 5 kms or so ... it would have boiled before the fan swap.