Bump Stops

technical info
Big Red
Site Admin

Bump Stops

Post by Big Red »

On a trip across the Simpson Desert a couple of years ago the bracing on the front diff housing hit the sump which then hit the crankshaft ... i tried fitting 100 series rear bumpstops as they were 67 mm longer but they were softer and on a really harsh dip they hit even worse.
I ended up refitting the original bumpstops and added the biggest spacer i could fit at 10mm and changed the diff to one with smaller braceing and replaced the sump.

On a recent trip the Diff once again hit the sump and the bumpstops split so it was time to try something else.

I bought some new bumpstops and some 30mm extensions but found the Ebay bumpstops had a different thread so had to run a 10 x 1.25 die over them so they would screw into the extensions ... also drilled a hole in the side so i could stick a 1/4 drive socket extension in them to aid in doing them up and undoing them.
The original bumpstops are 125mm but when the knob breaks off they are 95mm [very common for them to break off in a short time]
with the broken bumpstop and 10mm spacer there was 110mm clearance to the bumpstop ... with the new bumpstops and 30mm spacers the clearance is now 50mm.
When the knob breaks off it will still clear the sump so it just remains to be seen how long this set up lasts.

while i had the Koni Shocks undone i adjusted them up a turn

before and after ...